Sat, Dec 31, 2016 3-minute read
Years are starting to pass by at high speeds. Not light speed, not hyperloop speed, but maybe high-speed-trains speed. My first year in Oakland is waiving goodbye, and while crazy shit has happened in the world this year, I certainly can’t complain of who and what is around me. I feel extremely privileged and thankful for having had the opportunity to be on this fast-paced ride that only stops once. Let’s keep moving.
List of things that gave meaning to this little (highly probably simulated) life:
- Cover of Time Travelers by Riverside
- Performance with Los Pandejos at the Pandora Music Analyst Fest
- I join Arkaen, a new metal band from Concord that will save the world
- My music structure analysis algorithms make it to the new Harmonix Music VR game by the developers of Rock Band
- First time skiing in Tahoe like a real white male in his 30s who works in tech
- Dagstuhl Seminar in Germany
- Nathalie studies in Oxford and I visit her and it is more magical than Hogwarts
- Trip to Barcelona to do some tourism
- La Bossa d’Urina Aznar Spring World Tour 2016
- Organized the BISH Bash at Pandora (Los Pandejos also play there)
- Mom visits the Bay Area!
- I start, finish, and get obsessed with Infinite Jest
- Freak Kitchen features the cover I made a few years ago in their page
- Pliny The Elder becomes my favorite beer
- Jordan Rudess invites me to his backstage room to talk and play with some of his newest toys
- We record our first demo with Arkaen
- James Hetfield suddenly shows up in a Corrosion of Conformity show and reminds me how awesome the Bay Area is
- Cover of England by The National (for Natis)
- One of my dreams come true: cover of The Beginning and The End by Anathema WITH JORDAN RUDESS
- Cover of Anna Molly by Incubus with some of the titans of Sargon
- Cover of The Last Goodbye (The Hobbit) with the titans Andy Feehan et al.
- ICML in NYC: organized the Music Discovery Workshop
- Cover of Mother by Pink Floyd with the titan Alek Darson
- I buy a second-hand Mesa/Boogie Mark-III
- Nat comes back from Oxford and is ready to take over Berkeley
- Another Winter in Lima
- First time surfing (in Miraflores!)
- ISMIR in NYC: presented this paper and organized the JAM session.
- Cover of the Dragon Ball intro with The Only Deer Alive
- First Arkaen show
- Sister visits me in Oakland
- I give a long talk at the Stanford Biostat Seminar about deep learning and music
- Los Pandejos Show @ Pandora Performs (The Fillmore)
- Cover of The Pretender by Foo Fighters with the titans Alek Darson et al.
- Post-Trump election anti-depression concert by Los Pandejos
- Thanksgiving in Miami with Natis’ family, sister, mom, and Eliseu (first intra family encounters are a success!)
- I give a talk at the Seminar of Music Knowledge Extraction using Machine Learning at UPF, Barcelona
- NIPS in Barcelona
- Another dream comes true this year: Venga Monjas Videoclip for La Bossa d’Urina (EPIC)
- La Bossa d’Urina La Vida Secreta d’en Follet Tortuga Winter World Tour 2016 (most extensive World Tour we’ve made so far)
- Natis is among the top two students in her Torts class, because she is the titanest (congrats!)
- Christmas and New Years Eve in Barcelona
Happy 2017 titanics!